Friday, March 30, 2012

Kidney For Caleb

Me at the Beach
Hello

Welcome to Kidney for Caleb. As you might have guessed, this website is all about me, Caleb. I am now 10 years old and I was born in 2001. I enjoy comic books and sports and I love to write, especially about my struggles.

My Mom and I Before the Transplant
Ever since I was born, I have been struggling with two conditions, Cerebral Palsy and Prune Belly Syndrome.  As a result of the Prune Belly Syndrome, I was born in kidney failure.  I was on peritoneal  dialysis for two years, before my mom donated her kidney to me in March of 2004.  To the right is a picture of us the night before my transplant at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.  My donated kidney lasted until March of 2011 after kidney rejecting antibodies began developing in my body.

I started dialysis at Children's National Medical Center (in DC) in April of 2011.  I go to dialysis three days a week.  And now we need to find a compatible (O blood type) kidney for me. Thank you so much to all that have tested already. Many of my family members and friends who are O blood type have tested; however, they have antigens that I have a sensitivity to.  What that means is that my antibodies will cause me to reject their kidneys because I have a sensitivity to them.  I am considered a highly sensitized patient.  And from what my parents have learned, I could go years on dialysis before I have a compatible kidney.

So the more people that volunteer to be tested the better chances I have of finding a kidney soon.  All it takes is a simple blood test.  They will confirm that you are O blood type and then they will check for the antigens to which I am sensitive.

I understand that it takes tons of courage to volunteer to donate such a vital organ.  But you can ask my mom, you only need one kidney.  She is doing just fine with her one kidney.  Your two kidneys together provide 100% of the kidney function that your body needs.  However, when someone who has two healthy kidneys donates one, the other kidney provides the 100% function that you need.  Isn't it awesome that our bodies are created to be able to provide such a miracle to help others.

Me in My Halloween Costume
I am hopeful and prayerful that my kidney will come soon.  I thank God everyday for the new kidney that he is preparing for me.  It is hard to stay positive all of the time but I try.  My parents tell me to focus on the positive things in my life and not to be consumed with waiting for my kidney.  I know that makes sense but I don't think they realize how hard this is.

Okay that is enough from me.  If you have any questions or are at least willing to get tested please feel free to call:

Calin Fitzpatrick
Transplant Coordinator
Georgetown University Hospital
202-444-1130

Joann Palmer
Transplant Coordinator
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
215-

Renee Shumate
Transplant Coordinator
Johns Hopkins Hospital
410-955-1247

Me and My Dad



I am registered at different hospitals to increase my chances of finding the right kidney for me.


We really hope we find a kidney for me soon.

26 comments:

  1. Caleb you are remarkable and the strength that God has given you speaks to HIS presence in your life. Caleb I pray that God continues to bless you with life more abundantly!!!! You are blessed to have a family that supports you, and who's love is endless. Caleb God has a plan for ALL of us. HIS promise for our lives is that we prosper. You are truly amazing and I moved by your courage. Thank you for sharing your story. I am looking forward to the good news report!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb! I get to work with your Dad every day and he tells me how awesome you and your sister are! What a fantastic job you all have done on your blog. I look forward to learning more...

    One question: I am B positive. What can I do to help?

    Terry Bunton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now the best thing to is spread th word.

      Delete
  3. Caleb thank you for sharing your story! You are a very courageous young man. God is working in your favor. So continue to speak positive things into your life. There is power in prayer and I will be praying that your kidney comes soon!!
    Sherri Whitfield
    PS... My daughters still talk about meeting you and how nice you were to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Naomi. This is a wonderful gift to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caleb we are so proud of you. You are the most courageous person I have ever met. I wish I was in a position to give you a kidney but know that I pray for you constantly. We love you Superman!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caleb, thank you for sharing your story. I will do my best to help you find your kidney.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Caleb!
    Your mom is a good friend of mine from law school. I think you are remarkable. Your mom called me shortly after you were born to tell me how much she loved you and how thankful she was to God for you! I am happy you shared your story as it will motivate many people to act. Much love - Andrea Astrachan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caleb-I love your blog! I will pray that a perfect kidney comes for you soon. Stay strong and positive! What creative things do you like to do? Creativity helps me get through tough times. Your dad is great to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Cabub,
    You have a very rare gift from God that I want you to focus on. You have faith the size of a mustard seed and the character of Christ. Not many adults allow themselves to be in this position let alone children. God has a magnificent calling over your life and your testimony is going to save thousands. Stay strong cuz! God has not brought you this far to leave you. Weeping will endure in this time of need but trust baby JOY WILL COME! Continue to stand strong and remain faithful to the calling God has for you so that you will continue to be abundantly blessed and a blessing to others! I love you so much! You put a smile on my face everytime I think of you and see you! And Zoe loves you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Caleb,
    Me and my family pray that you find a kidney. Stay strong you are a great person and a gift from God.
    - Nicole
    Btw Naomi great job on the website

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Caleb

    My name is Madison. My mom Natasha Parrilla works with your dad. I am O negative and you can blame my mom for that. She told me about you and I will share your post with friends and my school. I cant wait to hear about your new kidney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we made a mistake, you can be o positive or negative. But you also have to be at least 21.

      Delete
  12. Caleb thank you for telling your story of courage and hope. You are a remarkable young man and I know that God is working on finding just the right kidney for you. Many thanks to your sisters for helping to put this important blog together. They should be proud of helping you with telling your story. I will check back often and will be anxious to hear how things are going. And am I correct in understanding that potential donors can be O positive and negative?

    Deb Chew

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Caleb,
    I remember meeting you a few years ago at Children's Hospital. My name is LaToya Ormsby and I serve on the staff of Redeemer. I just your blog and will be sending out to others. I will be praying for God to bring you the right match!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Caleb,

    I just wanted to say thank you for providing a way to really get the word out. I also wanted to let you know that God has used you and your family to be an inspiration and hope for me. Every time I see you at church you are always smiling and joyful you shine so bright!!! My daughter Angelina and I pray for you every night before bed and we pray now that with this blog more people will become aware of your need and you will get a kidney so that God can continue to shine through you!

    In Christ's Love,

    Terisa Carter and Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Caleb,

    I would be happy to be tested. Best wishes! I work with your dad.

    Janine Fetters

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Caleb,

    Thank you for sharing your story and starting your blog. I'm not type "O," but will do everything I can to get the word out. My prayers are with you. I think you are brave, just like Superman!

    Much love and blessings to you and your family!
    Ressie Malone

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you all tried https://twitter.com/#!/KidneyRegistry They seem to have a large network for those looking and those who are ready to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm O positive, I think. I'm 23. I live in San Antonio, Texas. Who would I call to see about getting tested?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can still call the Georgetown number and they will set you up for testing in San Antonio. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Caleb, I am a friend of Hilary O'Hollaren's. I want you to know that my uncle found a kidney donor as a result of posting the need on facebook. I am not O+ but I hope that someone out there will be able to help you. You are a brave boy. You will be in my family's prayers. Sandie Timm from Menlo Park, CA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Caleb,

    I taught your sister Nina in First Grade at Beauvoir, and she would always tell me how much she loved you and how proud she is of you. I am proud of you, too, and I think you are an amazing and brave superhero! We will keep you in our prayers and can't wait to hear when you find a match!

    Best Wishes,
    Kit Leininger

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Caleb! I hope and pray that God finds you a kidney soon. I will repost your blog so others may get tested to be a blessing to you. Stay uplifted and encouraged in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Caleb,

    I taught Nina in 2nd Grade and she spoke about you all the time. I know she loves you and is so proud of you. She even would write lots of stories about you! :) I will be thinking of you and your family. You are so brave and I know you will stay strong!

    All my best,

    Dana Benedict

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Caleb,

    It's Mrs. Gloria Erica's mom from Beauvior. Since the very first time I met you I have been truly inspired by your strengh. I'm going to be praying for the Right Kidney for you. I love the wonderful family that surrounds you. Nina, Naomi, Mom and Dad are the best people that God chose for you. I miss seeing you jump out of your dads truck at Beauvior. Take care son and know that the Cain family loves you.

    ReplyDelete